In response to the continued spread of the COVID-19 virus, we have made the difficult decision to temporarily close our campuses.
Both the Edmonton and Calgary campuses will be closed from Monday, March 16 until further notice. All on-campus activities including classes, clinics, and study halls will be cancelled. Your online work will continue as normal.
We are making this decision as a precautionary measure. Post-secondary schools in Alberta have not yet been required to shut down operations. However, the best way for people to slow the spread of this virus is to reduce the risk of exposure. So we are choosing to pause our in-person interactions for a few weeks. And because our program is delivered through blended learning, we are better prepared for this type of situation than some other schools.
In addition to the public health implications, we have taken your travel and work needs into consideration. We have students from all over western Canada, some of whom have to fly to campus. We’ve also heard from students whose workplaces are requiring staff who travel even within Canada to self-isolate. By closing the campuses now we can prevent you from having to make a difficult decision about your own level of risk.
This is going to impact weekly, weekend, and monthly students differently. All students should continue with their at-home work as normal. All deadlines for online quizzes and assignments that can be completed online will remain in effect. Please continue to perform your OCPs as long as it is safe for you to do so. (If public health recommendations in your jurisdiction require you to avoid close contact with others, let us know and we will work with you to create an accommodation plan).
We are still working out the details of how we will make up the missed in-class material. We’ll keep you informed about how this will affect your class schedule.
Because the situation is so unpredictable, we won’t be rescheduling your cancelled clinic shifts until we know when it is safe to do so.
This is an unprecedented circumstance for us. We are trying to plan for all possible scenarios and are staying in touch with the relevant government bodies. We will update you all when we know more.
Thank you for your understanding and your patience as we all work through this together.
The MH Vicars School Team